- Taylor, B., J. Piacenza, S.E. Piacenza, J. Faller II, C. Charbonneau⸸, and C. Kehl. 2019. Energetic Analysis of Tagged Sea Turtles Using Geomagnetic Navigation. Journal of Navigation In revision.
Kelly⸸, B., N. Nguyen⸸, Z. Miles⸸, S. Mayoral, S. Piacenza, C. Zhang, and J. Piacenza. 2019. Exploring design
- trades to extend useful life of platform terminal transmitters on sea turtles. Proceedings of the International Design Engineering Technical Conference IDETC2019-97473.
- Pondella II, DJ, SE Piacenza, JT Claisse, CM Williams, JP Williams, AJ Zellmer, and JE Caselle.
Assessing drivers of fish biomass: a case study using the nearshore rocky reefs of the Southern California Bight. Marine Ecology Progress Series 628:125-140. https://doi.org/10.3354/meps13103
- Piacenza, SE, PM Richards, and SS Heppell. 2019. Fathoming sea turtles: Monitoring Strategy Evaluation to
improve conservation status assessments. Ecological Applications 29(6).
- Piacenza, JR, SE Piacenza, S Mayoral, A Kenney⸸, and N Shields⸸. 2018. Design opportunities for sea
turtle satellite tracking devices. Proceedings of the International Design Engineering Technical Conference IDETC2018-85583. doi:10.1115/DETC2018-85583
- Pondella II, DJ, MJ Robart, JT Claisse, JP Williams, CM Williams, AJ Zellmer, and SE Piacenza. 2018.
Spatial and temporal fishing patterns at the outer banks of the Southern California Bight. Western North American Naturalist: 78(3):341-357.
- Piacenza, SE, PM Richards, and SS Heppell. 2017. An agent-based model to evaluate recovery times and monitoring startegies to increase accuracy of sea turtle population assessments. 2017. Ecological Modelling 358: 25-39. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ecolmodel.2017.05.013
- Piacenza, SE, GH Balazs, SK Hargrove, PM Richards, and SS Heppell. 2016. Trends and variability in demographic indicators of a recovering population of green sea turtles Chelonia mydas. Endangered Species Research 31: 103-117. https://doi.org/10.3354/esr00753
- Piacenza, SE, LL Thurman, AK Barner, CE Benkwitt, KS Boersma, EB Cerny-Chipman, KE Ingeman,TL Kindinger, AJ Lindsley, J Nelson, JN Reimer, JC Rowe, C Shen, KA Thompson, and SS Heppell. 2015. Evaluating temporal consistency in marine biodiversity hotspots. PLoS ONE 10(7): e0133301.
- Piacenza, SE, AK Barner, CE Benkwitt, KS Boersma, EB Cerny-Chipman, KE Ingeman, TL Kindinger, JD Lee, AJ Lindsley, JN Reimer, JC Rowe, C Shen, KA Thompson, LL Thurman, and SS Heppell. 2015. Patterns and variation of soft sediment benthic biodiversity in a large marine ecosystem. PLoS ONE 10(8):e0135135.
- Hilber, SE and JM Lawrence. 2009. Analysis of sediment and gut contents of the sand dollars Mellita tenuis, Encope michelini, and Encope aberrans off the central Florida Gulf coast. Gulf of Mexico Science 27(1): 74-81.
Extended Abstracts and White Literature
- Piacenza, SEH. 2016. Quantitative Tools for Monitoring Strategy Evaluation and Assessment of Sea Turtle Populations. PhD Dissertation, Oregon State University, Corvallis, OR, 177 p. URL:http://hdl.handle.net/1957/59146
- Piacenza, SE, GH Balazs, S Hargrove, PM Richards, SS Heppell. 2013. Developing quantitative tools to evaluate recovery in green sea turtles, Chelonia mydas: A research prospectus. Proceedings of the 33rd Annual International Sea Turtle Symposium on Sea Turtle Biology and Conservation, Baltimore, MA. Compiled by T. Tucker, L. Belskis, A. Panagopoulou, A. Rees, M. Frick, K. Williams, R. LeRoux, and K. Stewart. NOAA Tech Memo 645: 236. Abstract only.
- Hilber, SE. 2006. Spatial and Temporal Patterns of Feeding and Food in Three Species of Mellitid Sand Dollars. Master’s Thesis, University of South Florida, Tampa, FL, 55p. URL: http://scholarcommons.usf.edu/etd/3874/
- Hilber, SE and JM Lawrence. 2005. Population characteristics of the sand dollars Mellita tenuis and Encope michelini off the central Gulf coast of Florida. Florida Scientist 68 (supplement 1): 30-31. Abstract only.
- Lawrence, JM, J Cobb, SE Hilber, JP Swigart. 2005. Characteristics of populations of sand dollars Encope michelini and Encope aberrans off the Central Florida Gulf coast. Integrative and Comparative Biology 45: 1157-1157. Abstract only.
Unpublished Manuscripts - Works in Progress (completed manuscripts only)
- DuBois‡, M., N. Putman, and S.E. Piacenza. Hurricane frequency and intensity may decrease dispersal of
Kemp’s ridley sea turtle hatchlings in the Gulf of Mexico.
Kelly⸸, B., N. Nguyen⸸, Z. Miles⸸, S. Mayoral, S. Piacenza, C. Zhang, and J. Piacenza. 2019. Using
computational fluid dynamics modelling to explore hydrodynamic drag of existing and novel platform terminal transmitters for sea turtles. In Preparation. Target journal: PLoS ONE
Siegfried‡, T., S.E. Piacenza, S. Gutierre, P. Darby. Video analysis of native and exotic fish predator
impacts on Florida apple snails (Pomacea paludosa). In preparation.
Siegfried‡, T., M.M.P.B. Fuentes, J. Piacenza, E. Roberto⸸, N. Robinson, M. Ware, and S.E. Piacenza.
Validating stereo-video camera measurements of sea turtle body lengths. In preparation. Target journal: Endangered Species Research
Heppell, SE, JK Parrish, S Andelman, C Maranto, SL Davis, KK Ennis, PMA Ferreira, D Gonthier, D
- Kimuyu, B Klingbeil, KM Laumann, M Leithead, SE Piacenza, S Presley, G Wahungu, and M Willig. Biodiversity Science with Team-based Research: Advancing New Paradigms in Graduate Education. In review: BioScience
- Heppell, SS, L Arnold, A Jara Baquero, B Owashi, SE Piacenza, A Stephens. Application of data-poor methods at smaller spatial scales: Integrating local data for fisheries assessment. In preparation.
- Cody, TT, SE Piacenza, E Leone, and J Landsberg. Integration of Stocked Red Drum (Sciaenops ocellatus) with the Wild Population in Tampa Bay, FL. In preparation.
Public Outreach and Media Coverage
- DeMoss, J. “It’s a banner year for sea turtles along the North Carolina coast. What’s behind it?” Raleigh
News& Observer, 7 August 2019.
- Wallace, E. “How to view Pensacola’s charismatic marine life safely and legally” Pensacola News
Journal, 22 April 2019.
- Pedraza, J. “SEA3D” UWF Connection Magazine, Spring 2018.
- Saunders, M. “UWF students tackle real-world problems” Pensacola News Journal, 6 May 2018.
- Walker, C. 2013. Collaboration: A problem shared. Nature 499: 115-117.
- Piacenza, S. 2013. A tale of a turtle model(er). Turtles in the Deep Blog, Peavey, L. (Word Press), 26 March 2013. Retrieved from http://turtlesinthedeep.org/
- Kight, P. 2012. OSU grad student wins NMFS fellowship. Breaking Waves Blog, Oregon Sea Grant (Word Press MU), 19 June 2012. Retrieved from http://blogs.oregonstate.edu/breakingwaves/2012/06/19/osu-grad-student-wins-nmfs-fellowship/